Founded in 1934, the Societa Italiana di Copper Cliff has a very rich and intriguing history. In fact, it was a group of 79 women that initially founded the Societa’s Sezione Femminile in September of 1934. These woman felt the need to find a place where they could gather outside the home, share ideas and organize social events.
It wasn’t until 1935 that the Societa proper was formed with a founding male membership of 105. For many years the two groups worked separately within the club, offering immigrant aid to its members, as well as providing them with a variety of entertainment, including hot lunches, banquets, recreation and more.
In 1997, the women’s and men’s associations finally amalgamated to form the current mix of men and women, young and old, that make up our Board of Directors today.